1 a position in a grammatical linguistic construction in which a variety of alternative units are interchangeable; "he developed a version of slot grammar"
2 a small slit (as for inserting a coin or depositing mail); "he put a quarter in the slot"
3 a time assigned on a schedule or agenda; "the TV program has a new time slot"; "an aircraft landing slot" [syn: time slot]
4 a position in a hierarchy or organization; "Bob Dylan occupied the top slot for several weeks"; "she beat some tough competition for the number one slot"
5 the trail of an animal (especially a deer); "he followed the deer's slot over the soft turf to the edge of the trees"
6 (computer) a socket in a microcomputer that will accept a plug-in circuit board; "the PC had three slots for additional memory" [syn: expansion slot]
7 a slot machine that is used for gambling; "they spend hours and hours just playing the slots" [syn: one-armed bandit] v : assign a time slot; "slot a television programs" [also: slotting, slotted]
- Rhymes: -ɒt
Etymology 1From Middle Low German slot or Middle (and modern) Dutch slot, from West Germanic. Cognate with German Schloss ‘door-bolt’.
wooden bar for fastening door
- French: barre
broad bolt or bar, crosspiece
- To bolt or lock a door or window.
Etymology 2From Old French esclot, of unknown origin.
- A narrow depression, perforation, or aperture; especially, one for the reception of a piece fitting or sliding in it.
- The allocated time for an aircraft's departure or arrival at an airport's runway.
- In a flying display, the forth position; after the leader and two wingmen.
A narrow depression, perforation, or aperture
The allocated time for an aircraft's departure or arrival at an airport's runway
the track of an animal, especially a deer
- Danish: spor
Slot may refer to:
- Slot, a space for a container on a ship - usually expressed as a 20' or 40' slot (ie 20 or 40 feet).
- Slot antenna, a directional antenna consisting of a slot in a piece of metal
- Slot canyon, a type of narrow canyon formed by the wear of water rushing through sandstone
- Slot car racing, a hobby of racing with powered miniature autos which are guided by slots in the track on which they run
- Slot (ice hockey), the area on the hockey rink directly ahead of the goaltender between the faceoff circles on each side
- Slot machine, a type of casino game
- Slot time, the time it takes for an electronic pulse to travel the length between two nodes
- Slot 1, the physical and electrical specification for the connector used by some of Intel's microprocessors
- Slot 2, the physical and electrical specification for the connector used by some of Intel's microprocessors
- Slot A, the physical and electrical specification for the edge-connector used by early versions of AMD's Athlon processor
- Dance slot, an imaginary narrow rectangle along which a follower moves back and forth with respect to the leader
- Landing slot, right allocated to an airline by an airport or government agency to schedule a landing or departure at a specific time
- Leading edge slot, an aerodynamic device used on fixed wing aircraft
- slot (computer architecture) the operation issue and data path machinery associated with a single execute pipeline in a CPU
- Kensington Security Slot, small hole found on almost all recent small or portable computer and electronics equipment used for attaching a lock
- Edge connector socket ("slot"), any type of female electrical connector for use with printed circuit boards having matching edge connectors
- A narrow opening through which coins or tokens are put into a vending machine or slot machine
- Groove (machining), a feature cut into a hard material to provide a location for another component
- "The Slot" a name for New Georgia Sound, used by the Tokyo Express to supply the Japanese garrison on Guadalcanal in World War II
- "Slot" is the Danish and Dutch word for castle or fortified place, and can refer to several places (e.g. Søborg Slot).
- Slot (Russian band), a russian alternative/nu metal band.
slot in German: Slot
slot in Spanish: Slot
slot in Dutch: Slot
IC analysis, abysm, abyss, aperture, appositive, arroyo, assign, assignment, attribute, attributive, box canyon, breach, break, broaching, canyon, cavity, channel, chap, chasm, check, chimney, chink, clearing, cleave, cleft, cleuch, clough, col, complement, construction modifier, coulee, couloir, crack, cranny, crevasse, crevice, cut, cut apart, cutting, cwm, deep structure, defile, dell, depression, dike, direct object, disclosure, ditch, donga, draw, excavation, fault, fenestra, filler, fissure, fistula, fit, flaw, flume, fontanel, foramen, form-function unit, fracture, function, furrow, gap, gape, gash, gat, gorge, groove, gulch, gulf, gully, hiatus, hole, hollow, hollow out, immediate constituent analysis, incise, incision, indirect object, inlet, interval, job, joint, kloof, lacuna, laying open, leak, levels, moat, modifier, niche, notch, nullah, object, open, opening, opening up, orifice, outlet, pass, passage, passageway, phrase structure, place, pore, position, predicate, qualifier, ranks, ravine, rent, rift, rime, rive, rupture, schedule, scissure, seam, shallow structure, slit, slot and filler, space, split, spot, stoma, strata, structure, subject, sulcus, surface structure, syntactic analysis, syntactic structure, syntactics, syntax, tagmeme, throwing open, trench, uncorking, underlying structure, unstopping, vacancy, valley, void, wadi, word arrangement, word order, yawn